Beagle Adoption SingaporePuppy Adoption Singapore
Beagles are medium-sized dogs who love humans and are a joy to be around. They may be hound dogs, but are capable of coexisting harmoniously with other dogs and even cats.
What is a Beagle like?
Beagles are playful and adventurous. They especially love the company of children, who are willing to expend time and energy just running around with them.
They are also sweet, gentle, and docile dogs but can be rather strong-willed. Once housebroken, they can be a real joy to be around. However, getting to that stage will take time.
As a Beagle owner, you will spend a lot of time trying to outthink your dog. Especially so when it comes to food. Their sense of smell is so acute that they can easily detect food you have purposefully kept behind drawers and cupboards.
At a Glance
Key Measurements of a Beagle
10 – 15 Years
30cm – 40cm
9kg – 11kg
Beagle Adoption Notes
- Beagles are one of the most difficult-to-train dog breeds. Even in the hands of experienced dog owners, it can take up to one year before these Beagles are fully housetrained. This therefore makes crate training absolutely necessary.
- Beagles are naturally friendly, and loves interaction with humans. They can easily strike up a connection with strangers, which would make them rather poor guard dogs.
- The curious minds of these Beagles means they cannot be left alone in the house for long periods. They are easily bored, and with no easy channels to direct this energy, can easily engage in destructive behaviours. Loud excessive howling may be a direct consequence.
- One of the most common reasons owners give up or even abandon their Beagles is due to their incessant howling. Be prepared to work hard with Beagles to curb this particular tendency of theirs.
- Beagles have an acute sense of smell, sharper than the average dogs. They can be easily distracted whenever they smell an enticing scent. If you notice your Beagle wandering off on its own, its probably because they have smelt something of interest.
- Whilst they are affectionate dogs, Beagles can be extremely stubborn. Obedience training should therefore when they are of a very young age. Relatively new dog owners would find it necessary to engage the help of professional trainers.
- One quick training tip is to use food as a reward, since Beagles are belong to the hound dog breed. Hound dogs simply cannot resist treats, even if they tried.
- This also means that the diet of Beagles should be watched closely. They will overeat every chance they get, so owners should make sure to keep food securely locked in drawers. Only expose food to Beagles during their meal times.
Patient staff with good advice
Buyer info: Bartinella
Dog info: Roxy, Beagle
Patient staff with good advice
Buyer info: Shi Ya
Dog info: Lulu, Beagle
Prompt and clear answers
Buyer info: Elain Tan
Dog info: Harry, Beagle
A Beagle is perfect if you want a dog who…
Beagles are natural athletes. and are perfect for adventurous owners who take to high-octane activities.
Beagles may be stubborn, but they love people. They can be extremely friendly with their humans companions.
Is Low Maintenance
The medium-length coats of Beagles means that they have low grooming requirements. They have easy-care coats
Has NAtural Look
The Beagle has a proportionate body with hound like features that give them an easy, natural look.
Beagles are notorious for their high tendency to bark, but not all barks are equal. In fact, they have three different kinds of barks. Firstly, there’s the standard bark. This is common amongst old dogs, and is how they react to everyday things like the ring of a doorbell or the anticipation of getting new treat. Then there is the throaty yowl yowl you normally hear when you take them outdoors. It’s what they do to alert to other dogs the interesting scents that they have picked up. Finally ,there’s the forlorn howl. It is a sound they make when they are bored, unoccupied, or just sad.
Tips: Scent Hound
Humans have 5 million receptor. The typical dog has around 125 million. The Beagle meanwhile, has 225 million receptors. It’s no wonder. Historically, these Beagles have been bred as scent hounds, and are especially attuned to picking up the smell of foxes. Whilst they grown to become the perfect companion dogs, Beagles still retain their incredible sense of smell. In fact, 1/3 of their brain is devoted particularly for this function. So next time you take them out for a walk and they make for a particular direction, know that it is because they have just picked up an interesting scent.
Don’t get a Beagle if you don’t want to deal with its…
Beagles need more than just the 20-minutes of leisurely walk. You need to exercise these dogs quite a lot.
Beagles are fiercely strong headed and independent. Their strong wills can make them difficult to house break.
One of the loudest dogs out there, Beagles can bark incessantly when bored or left alone for too long.
Beagles have a natural dog odour that may sometimes be rather strong. That can be make it difficult to live with.
Coexisting with a Beagle
Since Beagles belong to the hound dog breed, they carry with them many characteristics of its type. They have well-proportioned bodies, with legs that are straight at the front, and more angled and muscular at the back.
They also have long powerful heads that are free from wrinkles. Like most other hound dogs, Beagles’ ears are not cropped, but are instead long and rounded. They also have a square-cut muzzle, with eyes are either hazel or brown in colour.
Beagles have coats that are neither too short nor too long. They are medium in length, and come in typical colours of black, white, tan or a combination of all three.
I love people! Chances are, I’ll love your kids too!
I’m a social butterfly with few restrictions in pairings!
I would love some feline friends, but I’ll do best with some supervision at first.
Basic profile of a Beagle
01. Exercise Requirements
Beagles are highly energetic dogs who crave for physical stimulation. They need at least an hour of exercise everyday, and this means more than just leisure walking. They enjoy games of fetch, as well as high-intensity runs, so make sure to keep them occupied in these ways.
They should not be cooped up inside a house for long periods of time, and especially not when they are alone. Their need for activities can see them engage see them engage in destructive behaviours when isolated for too long. They may start howling a lot, and dig incessantly in your backyard.
03. Potential Health Issues
Beagle typically have the good fortune of enjoying long healthy lives. However, some minor medical conditions are still more prevalent in this dog breed. These conditions include patellar luxation, central progressive retinal atrophy (CPRA), as well as hypothyroidism.
Healthy Beagles will see a lot of time outdoors. It is therefore important to maintain a good level of hygiene. Bathe them regularly with a mild, nonirritant shampoo. Check their ears for any potential signs of infections, such as wax or dirt. Bring them to the vet whenever necessary.
02. Obedience Training Style
Beagles are notoriously independent and stubborn, which makes them rather unreceptive to typical training methods. Lots of patience is needed when working with these dogs, and they are not advisable for first time pet adopters and owners.
Harsh training techniques, such as the choke chain or the jerk-and-release do not work well with Beagles. Instead, they respond well to positive reinforcement training, since these are hound dogs with a special affinity for food. Treats should definitely be used in abundance when training them.
04. Nutritional Requirements
Healthy adult Beagles typically require around 600 – 900 calories every day. Once they have reached seven years or older, they become less active. They may be less enthusiastic about heading to the outdoors for activities. When you notice this, it could be a signal for you to reduce their food intake.
Beagles do well with both manufactured and home-cooked food. What is important however, is to ensure there is real meat content in their food, whilst avoiding artificial chemicals. Do ensure that their diet consists of a healthy level of fat as well.